Mindfulness and Meditation training
Meditation or mindfulness was systematically practiced over 2,500 years with the teachings of the Buddha. The practice of mindfulness / meditation makes us better able to cope with the stresses of life (especially in our fast paced modern world).
Benefits of mindfulness training.
Mindfulness offers many benefits to those who practice, just a few of these are:
- Reduces stress levels
- It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate.
- Increased ability to sleep better.
- Helps with focus & concentration.
- Leads to a deeper level of relaxation.
- Increased creativity.
- Good for people with high blood pressure bringing it back to normal.
- Decreases muscle tension and headaches.
- It increases serotonin production. Low levels of serotonin are associated with depression, obesity, insomnia and headaches.
- Helps in chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis etc.
- Pain management.
- Eases pre-menstrual Syndrome.
- Helps in post-operative healing.
- Increases activity of immune response, which control pathogenic bacteria and cancer cells.
- Improves athletic performance
- It lowers oxygen consumption.
If you are interested in the scientific study of meditation, The Benson-Henry institute for mind body medicine at Harvard Medical School carries out extensive research on meditation and its physiological / psychological benefits.